Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Week #1 (a little late because Mom was in Alaska)

Sorry I haven't been able to email until now, our p-days are Thursdays and we didn't get ours last Thursday. So I'm alive! I have so much I want to tell you! My companion is Hermana Wynne from New Jersey. She spent last year at BYU also, and we have a few mutual friends. She is amazing and I have already learned a lot from her. She had leukemia when she was 13, but made it through and is here now. She always has good insights, and our personalities are actually pretty similar. The only bummer is that she is not a huge fan of exercise. She will go to the gym and stuff, but doesn't do much more than ride the bike. I love being able to exercise every day though. It helps me feel better after sitting all day every day. Literally all day. 
Our district is fantastico. There are six elderes and four hermanas including us. The four of us are the only hermanas in our zone of 30 people. We were assigned as the sister training leaders, which isn't too hard with four of us. They are all younger than 19, so that makes focus hard for the elders sometimes, but they are all amazing people. I'll try to attach a couple pictures. Some of the computers here are weird though. My favorite thing to do here is study. I love the time that is set aside for personal study especialmente. I LOVE love LOVE Spanish, and I'm really good at it. Not nearly as good as I need to be, but good. We taught seven lessons in Spanish this week. One of our investigators is an adorable Guatemalan lady named Hely. She is less than five feet tall. Our Spanish teachers are so awesome. Hermano Draut y Hermana Tuft teach us so much about Spanish and about teaching. They have made this experience a thousand times better. They help us to not be discouraged and lift us up when we crash and burn. I don't struggle with Spanish too badly, I can usually get across what I'm trying to say, but my district has a little bit of a hard time. It's really neat to watch everyone improve so rapidly. Like I said, most of us spoke zero Spanish when we arrived lst week, and we've already taught 7 lessons in Spanish. 
When we got here last week they were having the annual mission president conference, so everything was a little off. We weren't eating in the cafeteria, the schedule was weird, etc. But we're back to normal now. We were living in building 17M the first day, and then the second day, all of the sisters had to move because of bats! Luckily we didn't see any. The only downside is that we moved to an older building and there are six of us sharing a four person bedroom that has an extra bunk shoved in. Makes for some good bonding time. The Hmnas that we live with are so funny, and we really enjoy them. It still surprises how many sisters arent in bed by 1030 and are up making noise and stuff. Whatever, I am always so tired it doesnt even matter. Ah I'm running out of time so fast!
My first two days here I ran into probably twenty people that I knew, and there are probably more now. Running into Elder Larsen was a highlight. He has three weeks left, and Russian is still hard apparently. Go figure. 
Our devotionals this week were given by Elder Allen who runs the missionary committee, and Elder Sitati of the first quorum of the 70. both were uplifting and motivated me to be better. THe hardest part of being here for me is learning to have faith that I am doing God's work, and He's not going to leave me behind. Because a couple of days I have felt a little ditched, but for the most part, I love the MTC. We watched Elder Bednar's talk on Sunday called THE Character of Christ. Look it up, you might have to dig a little, it is a fantastic talk about looking outside ourselves.  It's just pure truth all the time, and it's hard to beat that. I can't wait to be fluent in Spanish! I'm so excited. 

I love you, I miss you already, but I also love being here. This week went by really fast, and I hear it only gets faster. 
Love, Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment