Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2016

I'm Training!!!

Emily and Hermana Rowland
District van ride!


Where do I even start? We got a text this morning at 939 to get on a conference call at 945 and it turns out it was all the trainers being told they were training. I choked. I was 98% sure that we were staying

together. So I get to pick up a trainee on Wednesday! I'm really excited, but really nervous. I was legit shaky after phone call. This would be a breeze if we were still in Richfield, but I'm still new to this area. Speaking of Richfield, Hna Warmbier is training too! So I get to see her on Wednesday! We're training the two new sisters together. I'm stoked. It will be an adventure. Sister Rowland and I are sad she's leaving. She is going down to St Peter with Sister Scholl who goes home after this transfer. She has had a companion every transfer, and because Sis Scholl is dying is guaranteed at least two more.

This week has been really busy. You have already seen pictures from 
the temple, so you know I went, but it was probably the most enlightening temple experience I've had so far. The Cupkies are seriously incredible. I learned a TON. I want you to meet them. When we come back you'll have to meet them. They shared a lot about symbolism and it is a whole new world. It's so cool. I can't wait to share. We talked about the numerology of the scriptures; I'm studying the book of Revelation and it's cool how useful it is.

Something I've been thinking about this week is the different learning I've done this transfer compared to the last two. The last two transfers, I was learning how to be a missionary, and what it means to work hard. It was more about the work and learning what missionary work is supposed to be like. This transfer has been completely different. All my learning has been about the gospel and how to apply it better in my life. It hasn't been about being a missionary, it's been about developing myself as a person. For example, a big part of this transfer has been learning about obedience and what it means. Josh explained it really well to me last week, he said "In short, The Savior changed obedience forever when he came to the Earth. He made obedience lifestyle and a feeling, not a matter of facts and actions. What I mean by that is when we see a rule, there is a principle. The principle is more important than the rule, but the rule is easier to understand than the principle. When one understands the principle, they know how to keep the rule. When they only understand the rule, they look for millions of ways to "keep" it. " When he explained it like that, it made so much more sense to me. I'm learning how to be obedient in ways that I never would have dreamed of before my mission. It has been an interesting mind switch. I've learned a lot about how deep the gospel is. Hna R is really into studying the deep doctrine of the church, and I never have felt a need to study deep things. I prefer the principles and basic doctrines. But spending time with her and the Cupkies has really expanded my understanding of how deep and penetrating the gospel is in EVERYTHING that we do. It has broadened everything that we teach and do as missionaries. This has probably been the hardest and most exhausting transfer of my mission so far,
but I have learned a ton. I seriously have never been so tired in my life.

I feel like the work has been picking up in this area. We have no new investigators, but our lessons with the members have been more productive. We had at least five really good member lessons this week.
One of the less actives we teach is pretty combative sometimes, but the last couple times we have been over, she has been much more receptive. Her main question this week was if the church of Jesus Christ was established by him, what church did Moses and Abraham have? They didn't have an organized church per say, but they did live the lifestyle of the church even though to them it didn't really exist. I
don't know if that makes sense. Basically the principles and doctrines of the church are a lifestyle. Like Josh said, obedience is a lifestyle. The established and organized church is a means for us to live the principles more fully. It's a tool. A very inspired tool.

Cool right? I told you, I'm learning lots.

We had a lot of good lessons. I feel like breakthroughs with their lessons. Or so I hope. We finally had the opportunity to do some service this week. The lady we are teaching, Anel let us come and help her clean. We washed dishes and cleaned her fridge. It's about time, because Hispanics are weird about letting us help out. It was a good experience, and we were able to build a better relationship with them. We saw her the next day when we were knocking doors and all her daughters waved and were really
excited to see us. The oldest has her quinceañera in May which I think would be super fun to be around for. They are super cute.

Somebody that I got to know better this week is someone named Fernanda. She is the daughter of a less active family. She was baptized when she was fourteen but was pretty inactive until October. In October she decided that the church is something that she needs in her life and hasn't looked back. She's eighteen. Her younger siblings are semi antagonistic, and her dad is not interested in the church.
Her older sister married a return missionary, but they have are no progress toward the temple or the gospel. Her mom tries, but it's hard when no one else goes to church. Fernanda is the only responsible one in her family. She is the only one with any goals or drive. She is incredible. She also wants to serve a mission at the end of this year. I love meting so many incredible people.

Saturday was like 60 degrees!! It was sooo warm. And then it snowed yesterday haha. I am excited for spring.

How was Morgan's birthday?

Dad in answer to you question about the Book of Mormon, I don't have any specific stories, but the first thing we ask when people are struggling with receiving answers or their testimonies is if they are
reading regularly. I didn't realize how much a testimony of the restored church hinges on the Book of Mormon. From the introduction "Those who gain this divine witness from the Holy Spirit will also
come to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, that Joseph Smith is His revelator and prophet in these last days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the
Lord’s kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the Second Coming of the Messiah." It's awesome.

How crazy about the Averys. Margaret mentioned it in one of her emails, but not the whole story. How crazy.

I am so excited for Ryan to get his call. I almost can't handle it. I NEED a video of him opening it.
Life is good.

I love you!
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment